Some of them like our smartphones and tablets come along with us (can’t possibly stay away from Insta for a week) while laptops, PC’s etc will most likely be staying put.
Home insurance and/or travel insurance will cover most cases of theft or accidental damage (be sure to check your policy) but it's still a good practice to take a few simple steps to make sure your devices are as safe as they can be.
File Genie have put a handy list together to help you get prepared before you set off on holiday:
- Backup your devices! It’s so simple and it should be something you do regularly anyway but let's be honest, it’s easy to forget. Make it a priority to get everything backed up before you leave. Accidents happen and it’s easy to lose all your important data with just the slip of a hand. Don't just back up to the cloud, consider having a backup to a separate hard drive.
- Update your software Again, a simple task that’s easily forgotten but can make a huge difference if anything goes wrong. Making sure you have up-to-date security software is paramount!
- Secure your devices Use a PIN, pattern lock or biometric authentication. Best practice would be to use a combination of biometric authentication and password/PIN. Don’t forget to add security authentication to your laptops and PC’s and please think carefully about any passwords you are using (check out this article on common password mistakes)
- Be wary of which WiFi you connect to. It's tempting to connect to any free WiFi when you’re away and save using up your valuable data allowance but really think carefully before connecting to unsecured public wifi. There’s a huge risk that your devices could be hacked, sensitive data stolen or get infected with malware.
- Be careful what you share on social media You might think you’re just making your friends envious with your beach photos but if you make it public you’re away from home any thieves will be able to take advantage of your absence. Now is a great time to check who sees your posts and consider making it private to friends only so you know only those you trust can see where you are. Check out this great list from Nottinghamshire police on what steps you should take to help deter any would be thieves.
We are here for full advice and support whether updating your software and backing up your devices or if you think your device is not operating correctly. Get in touch and find out more about our Health Check.